I am a 31 yr. old female living in Atlanta, Ga. About 3 years ago I started having severe abdominal pain, blood in my urine, and I was vomiting almost everyday. I went to see my Gynecologist and an internist. Both of them said, ‘Oh, you’re pregnant.” I knew I wasn’t, and after a test, so did they. My Gynecologist sent me to a GI doctor who found out I was having problems digesting my food. All three doctors told me to try to lose some weight. I was around 150lbs at that time.
About 2 years ago I became so severely depressed I had to be hospitalized. I was still throwing up, tired all the time, and despite working out 5 days a week, I really wasn’t slimming down. In fact, I had put on nearly 70lbs in about 5 months.
About 8 months ago I began to have horrible migraines. I went to my PCP who ordered a CT scan. Nothing showed up on the scan so he said I was fine. I told him I thought my headaches were hormone related so I was going to go see an Endocrinologist. The Endo asked me a lot of questions and took a lot of blood. Also, because of my physical appearance and symptoms, he ordered a 24 urine sample. He never mentioned Cushing’s to me nor had I ever heard of it. When I went back 2 weeks later he said my hormone levels were all within normal ranges, except for my estrogen which was low, and my testosterone, which was exceptionally low he said. He also told me I was insulin resistant and he advised me to lose some weight. He told me he had not received any results from my urine test and to this day I have heard nothing about it. He very rudely hurried me out of his office saying there was nothing else he could do for me. I left feeling so frustrated.
I began to research some of my symptoms online and that’s when I came across Cushing’s syndrome. I now have an appointment with a Cushing’s specialist at Emory University.
Below is a list of most of my relevant symptoms:
• Purple stretch marks along my pubic line and breasts (that practically appeared over night)
• Skin tags under my arms
• I went from 150lbs to about 210lbs in 5 months time (mostly in my stomach)
• Very round face
• Insulin resistance
• Bruise easily
• I started my period at the age of 9
• I have extremely light and irregular periods
• Hallucinations (I have been diagnosed Schizophrenic)
• Sever mood swings
• Very low Estrogen and Testosterone
• Slow healing
• Hematuria (3yrs +)
• Buffalo Hump (it seems to be getting worse, GREAT!)
• Whisker like hairs growing on my arms
• Motility problems in my stomach
• Gastritis and heartburn
• Sometimes my eyes get blurry but not too often
• Abdominal pain
• I have become very forgetful (VERY unlike me)
• Hard time concentrating
• I still have low Blood Pressure but, it is high for me